Penzance House was one of Numurkah’s original hospitals, with many others run by local women from their own homes. Midwifery services continued here until 1962 when they were moved to the new hospital site.
Land Donated By Local Families
Three influential families donated their land; the Moss, Trengrove, and Holmes families. Together with a Provisional Committee in 1945 they raised £15,000 pounds for the construction of a hospital in Numurkah. Due to a Government inquiry all plans were put on hold, which also happened throughout all hospitals in Victoria, for the Government to distinguish which towns really needed a hospital. However the community continued hard work on the establishment of the hospital.
New Hospital Opens After Government Interference
The Government finished their inquiry and on the 13thof April, 1957, the Hospital was officially opened and continued to develop further. The way in which the Hospital continued to develop was with a made up group of community members, who oversaw many improvements of the hospital such as a new theatre and casualty area, new kitchen department and midwifery facilities. By 1996 the aesthetics of the hospital were improved, providing a new entrance and a new name, changing from the Numurkah War Memorial Hospital to Numurkah District Health Service.