Maryborough high school was established in 1912 when the education minister Frank Tate decided to open the High school as it would be beneficial to the communities. Tate suggested that high schools in regional areas were critical for the future of Victoria. Technical teachers were showing more of an understanding of high school training, therefore it was recommended that more high schools should be established. The community of Maryborough also agreed that a high school was needed.
From 1912 to 1915 classes were held at the Maryborough School of mines, which was later renamed the Maryborough Technical College. The school of mines was located in Nolan Street next to the train station. The high school was one of the earliest high schools built in Victoria. The borough council proposed the idea of a new high school being built since the school of mines could not accommodate for both technical and high school classes. In 1915 the new building in West Maryborough was completed. In 1916, the high school students merged to the new high school.The new high school was built from stone from the old Maryborough jail. In 1915, 153 students were enrolled at the school and this continued to slowly increase in the following years. The school had a science room, an art room, a cooking room, boy’s and girl’s room, a teacher room, an office and library. The high school closed in 2007 and was one of the oldest high schools in Victoria.
The Education act 1910 was introduced by Tate. This act authorized the governer in council to to establish higher elementary schools and district high schools. However, there was a criteria. Fifty children had to be elegable for admission to high schools certified in writing by their parents as intending to enroll. A student who wanted to go to high school had to be over the age of 12 and be recognised as suitable for high school by the principal. Under this act, fees were also charged to students who attended high school.